Tuesday, October 30, 2012

31 Days off Your Duff {Day 26} - Make Your Own Body Scrub

If you've ever looked into it, you know how easy it is to make your own body scrub.

The only controversial problems I've seen out there is how long it lasts and what measures you can to to preserve it. But unless you are planning on giving it as a gift, you needn't worry about that problem.

Side note: even if you do intend to give as a gift, just don't mix it ahead of time! Make cute jars or other containers to keep the separate ingredients in, and print out a cute recipe card. Problem solved!

As for yourself, the same thing applies; just make a fresh batch before you get in the shower or tub! It's really so simple, it'll take you about 30 seconds once you know what you like.

Here is what you need, although this is in no way a fully comprehensive list:

Carrier Oil

  • Jajoba - one of my favourites. Leaves your skin feeling so soft and moisturized.
  • Grapeseed - this oil has never really done anything for me for some reason, but it is a nice inexpensive oil that won't feel heavy on your skin.
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil - A great, inexpensive, very common oil. However, make sure you get the right kind!
  • Sweet Almond - Here's one that I usually have in the house. If I'm out of Jajoba, I'll use this. It is inexpensive and light.
  • Avocado - I haven't used this on my body yet, but I am loving it for my face. It makes my skin soft and glowing.

Scrubby Part

  • Salt - something fine-grain is best, so it doesn't rip at your skin. I have a really nice pink mined salt that I love. Salt will kind of dissolve in your oil, so you may need a little more than you think.
  • Brown Sugar - a very inexpensive basic. Nice for sensitive skin, and holds its own in the oil

Essential Oil (not strictly necessary, but great for your body and a nice aromatherapy session)

  • Mint
  • Orange
  • Lavendar
  • Rosemary
  • Tea Tree Oil
  • Lime
  • Etc. etc....

Once again you can't really go wrong here! Pick your favourites from each category, mix it up, and enjoy!

As with OCM, I love keeping these ingredients separate so that I can choose what I want/need each time. Some days I want lots of exfoliation, so I put in some extra sugar/salt. Some days I'm mostly looking for hydration, and I'll put it about equal amounts of oil and scrub. And of course, some days I want to smell a particular scent, so I just go crazy.

Here are two of my favourite recipes thus far:

Sweet Orange Brown Sugar

Brown sugar and Jajoba Oil in about a 2:1 ratio, 2-4 drops of Sweet Orange Essential Oil.

This is a very calming, soothing scrub that I really love to use now in the colder weather.

Margarita Scrub

Ahhh this one is invigorating.

Fine grain salt and almond oil in a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio, depending on how quickly the salt is dissolving. 3-5 drops of Lime Essential Oil.

Warning: don't use right after shaving, unless you like burning legs!



There you have it! Making your own body scrub is incredibly easy, and can be extremely inexpensive if you want. There is no excuse; don't deny yourself this treat any longer!

Let me know about any recipes you already love/discover that you love!



No comments:

Post a Comment